- 6 Japanese eggplants
- ⅓ cup red miso paste
- ¼ cup mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- Thinly sliced scallions, for serving
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, black, white or a combination of the two, toasted
Heat oven to 400°. Thinly slice eggplants crosswise, making sure not to cut all the way through. Set aside on an oiled rimmed baking sheet.
Whisk together miso paste, mirin, brown sugar and ginger. Brush over the eggplant, making sure to get down between the slices. Bake eggplant for 35 to 40 minutes, basting every 15 minutes with the miso mixture, until the eggplants are tender and starting to crisp up around the edges. Serve sprinkled with green onions and sesame seeds.