- 1 slice applewood bacon, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 teaspoons freshly ground Mexican cinnamon (canela) from cinnamon stick, divided
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chipotle purée
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 8 Bibb lettuce leaves
- ½ cup fresh pineapple, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- ¼ fresh jalapeño, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
In a sauté pan, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and reserve for later. Set sauté pan with bacon fat aside (do not discard fat). Mix pork with zest, remaining cinnamon, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Meanwhile make pineapple salsa. In a bowl, combine pineapple, onion, cilantro, jalapeño and salt. Set aside at room temperature to marinate until ready to assemble lettuce wrap.
Return sauté pan with bacon fat to stovetop and heat fat over medium-high heat. Crumble pork mixture into the pan and sauté until the pork is cooked through and slightly browned. Stir in the chipotle purée and hoisin. Cook until the pork is glazed and glossy.
To assemble, place two lettuce leaves slightly overlapping on a plate. Spoon ¼ of the pork mixture into the leaves, top with a tablespoon of the salsa followed by ¼ of the crispy cinnamon bacon. Repeat with remaining ingredients.