- 2 tablespoons mustard oil or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons Indian Curry Powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1½ to 2 pounds firm, thick fish filets, such as halibut, swordfish or cod, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Steamed basmati rice and warm naan bread, for serving
Heat the oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in the yogurt and heavy cream and bring to a gentle simmer.
Add the fish to the pan, and turn it gently to coat with the yogurt mixture. Simmer gently until the fish has cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with rice and naan.