- Olive oil
- 2 large (or 3 medium) eggplant
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese (we like to use whole-milk ricotta)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 quart of your favorite jarred marinara or tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1½ pounds (24 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 325°. Grease 2 baking sheets and a 9-by 9-inch casserole dish (or individual baking dishes) with olive oil.
Slice the tops off of each eggplant and discard. Slice eggplant lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Brush each slice lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then lightly coat both sides with breadcrumbs. Place coated eggplant slices on a baking sheet in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the eggplant has begun to shrink and brown lightly. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Turn oven to 375°.
Mix ricotta with a bit of salt and pepper and eggs.
Assemble lasagna by layering eggplant slices, marinara, ricotta mixture and mozzarella alternately, ending with a layer of mozzarella. Bake until bubbling hot and cheese begins to brown, about 45 minutes (less time for individual baking dishes). Let cool 15 minutes before serving to allow lasagna to set.