- 1½ pounds flank steak, cut into ½-inch strips against the grain, then cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili paste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, plus more for dusting
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili paste, or to desired heat
- Cucumber, sliced thin
- Scallions, sliced lengthwise into very thin strips; submerge strips in an ice bath
- Hoisin sauce
- Carrots, cut into matchsticks.
- Sesame seeds
- 2 cans Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits
- Flour for dusting
Mix the marinade ingredients and add beef. Allow to sit for up to an hour.
Mix sauce ingredients and set aside.
“After doing a little research, I found an easy way to make the steamed buns with Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits. These turned out to be really good and save a lot of time over homemade. “
To roll out the buns. Flour counter top, place biscuits on flour and roll to 6-inch rounds; place on parchment paper and set aside.
Remove meat from marinade and pat dry. Coat meat lightly with cornstarch. Heat 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or other high-smoke-point oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Cook in small portions so as to not overcrowd the wok. Crisp beef on each side and remove. Pour sauce into wok and cook to thicken. Return beef to wok and toss with sauce and sesame seeds.
Steam buns for 8 minutes. (Wade uses a bamboo steamer.) Do not flip buns. Serve tacos by topping buns with beef, desired garnishments and extra sauces.