- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn
- 5 star anise
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
Toast fennel, Sichuan peppercorns and star anise in a hot, dry skillet until barely toasted and fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly, then pulse into a powder with a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Transfer back to bowl and add brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, cayenne, garlic powder, black pepper and cloves.
NOTE: If you can’t find Sichuan peppercorns, use equal parts tri-color peppercorn blend and coriander seed.